Wednesday, September 30, 2009

English Pea Salad

Yes, my kitchen is completely packed up... has been for weeks. Praying that I will be in my new kitchen cooking soon... enough sob story. I decided to cook a little something nonetheless. This was EASY, yummy, and kid friendly. I took a tip from Paula Deen: place boiled eggs in an ice water bath to cool down. They will peel perfectly! She also suggested you throw out your egg slicer and use your hands to crumble up the hard boiled eggs. So easy. Why didn't I think of that?



English Pea Salad
(Recipe courtesy The Deen Brothers)

Ingredients
4 slices bacon ( I used pre-cooked bacon for ease)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed and drained (I used 15 oz.)
1 cup shredded Cheddar (I used 1/2 cup)
2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used low-fat mayo)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Let cool.

In a medium serving bowl, combine the bacon, peas, cheese, and eggs. Stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

**You know how much I love Paula... it's just that Paula doesn't always mind if I can't button my pants comfortably... so I am always trying to make her recipes a little more "healthy".

No comments: